Basketball Northern Ireland (BNI) is excited announce it’s Under 15 Boys and Under 15 Girls Performance camps coming this October.
The aim of the camp is to begin the screening process for selection to a squad for proposed games in February half-term 2024. A selection criteria for the ‘first squad’ that will be selected for Christmas 2023 will be available prior to performance camp one. Basketball Northern Ireland seeks to select the best players for Team NI competition in February 2024 so a degree of flexibility will be built into the selection protocols to allow for coaches to see development over the Basketball NI season.
‘The opportunity to work with young players, at the re-start of representative honours for Basketball Northern Ireland, at the Celtic Invitational has been a refreshing experience. I believe there are exciting times ahead and a real opportunity to develop our young players for the future with our Performance Camps as we look to develop our pathway and develop opportunities that will set standard for performance in our sport.’ Performance Pathway Officer, Andy Gill.
Provisional Performance Calendar
1. Performance Camp One- Sunday October 29h-Tuesday 31st October (Venues Below)
2. Performance camp Two- Between 27th-30th December-exact dates, venue and timings to be confirmed
3. Provisional practice days-TBC
4. February Half-Term 2024 Training Camp 3 or Games-TBC
Performance Camp Purpose
• To identify players with the potential to represent Team NI in competitive games at both 5×5 & 3X3
• To introduce the technical foundations of successful basketball performance
• To introduce players to support services that can enhance individual performance
• To introduce registered players to the Team NI style of play
• A registered player of a Northern Ireland basketball club (ONLY PLAYERS NOMINATED BY THEIR CLUB/COACH CAN ATTEND)
• Playing outside of Northern Ireland but eligible for a British passport ( see eligibility criteria in Appendix 1 – for Clarity a physical passport is not needed)
• Boys-year of birth 2009 and 2010
• Girls-year of birth 2008, 2009 and 2010*
Sunday 29th October
Venue Bangor Aurora
Tuesday 31st October
Venue: UUJ Sports Centre, Jordanstown
Sunday 29th October
Venue: Bangor Aurora
Time: 14.00 – 17.00
Monday 30th October
Venue: UUJ Sports centre, Jordanstown
‘This is an exciting time for basketball here in NI. We have been working to create a sustainable model within our Performance Pathway and with the support of Sport NI and the Sports System Fund. The welcome addition of Andy Gill as our Performance Officer will help us align our grassroots development right through to our pathway linked to Basketball Ireland Pathway. It is not just about growing the pathway for players it is about growing a pathway for Team NI coaches, Team Managers, Table officials and referees. As we build these foundations we look forward to adding opportunities for Under 17 right through to senior men and women.’ Basketball NI Vice Chair, Marc Mulholland.
Please contact your club for queries on nominations as only players nominated through clubs will be invited to attend.